What I have to say.

Welcome to my blog. Please wipe your feet, and make yourself at home. Love you, bye x

Friday 22 January 2010

On shoot

Our filming went really well. Better than expected I believe, considering the weather conditions were so awful.

Over the 48hour time slot we were given, I think in total it took us 15hours to get everything we needed, and all the crew members did a brilliant job with their assigned roles.

Being director was more challenging than I'd anticipated. I've made a few films in the past, but they were all solo projects and animations. Actually having to express my ideas and to the rest of the crew I found quite difficult. It forced me to think about shots, and set-ups a lot harder. Also I think continuity nearly blew my mind.



Working from our shotlist and schedule, we managed to keep good time, and got more than we needed for the editing too. There were certain things which I think we hadn't taken into account during our meetings which then became a bit of a surprise during the shoot:

Firstly, whilst writing the script we'd meet up at Elspeth's and decided that her room would be perfect to shoot the bedroom scenes in. However when we actually stuck the camera in there (on our first day of shooting) we discovered it would be impossible to get any of the wide shots we needed as there wasn't enough room. In the final cut this is very clear.

Then we had our tripod break too. Quite a lot of our scenes ended up being hand held, especially where there wasn't really enough room, or when we needed a particularly high angle.

Our lead actress Evie McGuckian Jones was excellent and really easy to work with (despite her diva demands). We got a great performance out of her despite the nasty weather conditions and not letting her wear a coat.

I personally found the weekend draining, but this was mainly due to traveling to London sat night, and consequently having to get up at 5am in order to be back in Bath to start filming at 10:30am

No comments:

Post a Comment